CORPORATE SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY POLICY (CSR)
Introduction to Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR)
CSR refers to the way in which businesses regulate themselves in order to ensure that all of their activities positively affect society as a whole. CSR policies aim to guarantee that companies work ethically, considering human rights as well as the social, economic and environmental impacts of what they do as a business. Businesses should meet, and aim to exceed, any relevant legislation, and if legislation does not exist in a particular area, the company should ensure they carry out best practices anyway.
Central Woodchip Company Limited is committed to ensuring that any business undertakings are conducted as ethically as possible by following the below policy.
Who we are and what we do
Central Woodchip is dedicated to producing and supplying top quality wood chip fuel for the Biomass marketplace. We are a BSL registered company with full RHI compliance and we are also ‘Woodsure’ accredited, this means that our biomass wood fuel meets with the sustainability criteria and is quality assured following our annual Woodsure audits on processes and product quality as well as recording and documenting our woodchip deliveries and quality standards.
We can deliver on our clients chosen Moisture Content and Particle Sizing for their specific biomass boiler requirements this is crucial to achieving the most efficient biomass system.
Central Woodchip offers a range of products and services suited to commercial, industrial and domestic users of Biomass woodchip fuel,. With two woodchip drying and processing plants between Irvine in Ayrshire and Grantown in the Highlands we are able to cover a wide geographical area throughout Scotland.
Looking after Employees
To retain loyal and productive staff, it is vital to maintain a good working environment.
- Central Woodchip is an equal opportunity employer and is fully committed to a policy of treating all of its employees and job applicants equally in compliance with the Equality Act 2010.
- Central Woodchip constantly strives to safeguard the safety, health, and welfare of employees (full and part time), contractors, visitors and anyone, that may be affected by our operations and is committed to the continual improvement of our Employee Health and Safety (EHS) performance, policy and procedures, through periodic review and monitoring with regular inspections by independent external H&S Consultants to ensure that they remain relevant and appropriate to the organisation.
- In addition, Machine Operators wear safety glasses, hearing protection, gloves and all other necessary PPE at all times and follow the stringent Traffic Management Plan in place for the site.
- Central Woodchip is committed to identifying training needs and to carry out training and instruction as appropriate. Training needs are identified from a variety of sources, including task-hazard analysis, incident data and legislation. This is used to draw up a progressive training and development scheme to enable staff to develop, relevant skills and acquire knowledge to underpin their current role and career aspirations, as well as following procedures to ensure their safety at all times.
- All communications with staff are carried out in a clear and concise way, either by phone, via e-mail, or in face-to-face meetings, our briefings are predominantly face to face when permissible.
- All staff members are paid correctly and timeously at rates over and above the National Minimum Wage and are auto-enrolled in the NEST pension scheme.
- All staff members have the right to make representations to and consult their employer on matters of safety, health, mental health and welfare in their place of work.
Looking after Customers
Our high levels of Customer Service ensure we satisfy both private and commercial clients. The majority of our customers are hotels and leisure centres and farms and industrial, who cannot afford to have downtime on their heating systems. Therefore, it is imperative that we “Do what is says on the tin” and make planned deliveries in a timely manner with the correct wood fuel specification to our customers’ satisfaction.
We only process virgin timber. Waste or recycled wood is not recommended for use in most biomass boilers and poses a high risk of damage to our machinery, as well as to our customers’ boilers and equipment, therefore we only process quality virgin round wood log from FSC approved suppliers for woodchip fuel.
Additionally, with our close affiliation with the Forestry Commission, we firmly believe in sustainability and only take timber from sustainable sources.
All communications with our customers are carried out in a clear and concise way, either by phone, via e-mail, or in face-to-face meetings.
Covid 19 – Health and Safety Update
At the current time of writing (1 June 2020) our sites remain open for business and we have taken measures to be able to operate in accordance with government health advice regarding social distancing and hygiene.
In this rapidly changing situation, we are doing all we can to mitigate the impact of COVID-19 on our businesses, and there is currently no interruption in our ability to supply our customers.
We are paying close attention to government legislation and will provide updates to our staff, customers and suppliers on any changes to our trading in response to these announcements.
As a market leading supplier, we have strong relationships and a presence in the wood fuel supply chain which means we are able to source roundwood log for Biomass fuel from local and national suppliers, and a firm commitment to pay our suppliers in a timely manner.
Central Woodchip carries out due diligence when contracting with new suppliers to ensure they have rigorous policies and procedures in place to comply with the requirements of current legislation, including but not limited to, the Equality Act 2010, the Bribery Act 2015, and the Modern Slavery Act 2015.
All communications with our suppliers are carried out in a clear and concise way, either by phone, via e-mail, or in face-to-face meetings. Our suppliers also adhere to a CSR policy as well as the regulations attached to the timber marketplace and sustainability.
Protecting the Environment
It is important that we all commit to reducing the impact that our business activities may have on the environment and we aim to adopt the following practices at all times:
- We are committed to; and monitor, waste reduction at our site, we re-use all by-products of our raw timber materials for different markets ensuring that there is little or no waste.
- Biomass Boilers provide the Heat for our manufacturing process and this has a carbon neutral effect due to using woodchip fuel as opposed to using a fossil fuel for our processing.
- We are installing EV Charge Points for Electric Vehicle use at our sites as we move to the new vehicle standards for the UK.
- Our heating system is a closed system and therefore we have no water wastage.
- Our raw material used on site is small virgin round wood log, for processing to biomass woodchips.
- This is predominantly material that has been rejected from the sawmills.
- We encourage greener transport by:
- Our staff members at each site are very local and live within six miles of each site.
- Encourage staff to use greener fuels in their personal vehicles if possible.
- We are installing EV Charge Points at each site to allow our staff and visitors to have access to electric vehicle charge points.
- All company vehicles (such as delivery vehicles, plant/ machinery, or company cars) are as energy efficient as possible, and where possible these will migrate to electric in the next 2-3 years.
Central Woodchip is heavily involved in the local community and is involved in the sponsorship of, and donations to, local charities, sports clubs, societies, youth groups and community centres.
We also support the local community by employing local people.
It is our policy to conduct all of our business in an honest and ethical manner. We take a zero- tolerance approach to bribery and corruption.
We are committed to acting professionally, fairly and with integrity in all our business dealings and relationships wherever we operate and implementing and enforcing effective systems to counter bribery.
Central Woodchip also has a zero-tolerance approach to modern slavery and is committed to acting ethically and with integrity in all our business dealings and relationships and to implementing and enforcing effective systems and controls to ensure modern slavery is not taking place anywhere in our own business or in any of our supply chains.